- We are put to test and trial in this world. Only those who attend the Kīrtana of the devotees can succeed. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- Every spot on earth where discourses on God are held is a place of pilgrimage. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- Possession of objects not related to Kṛṣṇa is our mail malady. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- Let me not desire anything but the highest good for my worst enemies. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- As dalliance with the body in luxury increases, so wanes the spirit of service of the Lord. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- Those favored by God find their paths set by thorns. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- There is no peace or happiness in our worldly life. Circumstances create turmoil and annoyance. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- Chant the mahāmantra loudly and with the attachment. This will drive away inertia, worldly evils and pests. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- Be indifferent to bazaar gossips, stick firmly to your cherished goals, no lack or impediments of the world will ever stand in your way. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- Pay due respects to the extroverts of the world, but do not be appreciative of their manners and conduct. They are to be shaken off from your mind. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- A devotee feels the presence of God everywhere, but one averse to the Lord denies his existence anywhere. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- You cannot appreciate transcendental matters with reasoning of the world. It is sheer nonsense to decry them with the measuring stick of your intellect. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- To recite the name of Sri Kṛṣṇa is Bhakti. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- Life is for the glorification of topics on Hari. If that is stopped, then what need is there to carry on life. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- Physical illness with Hari-bhajana is preferred to physical fitness without Hari-bhajana. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- Our span of life on earth is short. Our life will be crowned with success if the body wears out with constant discourses on Hari. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- We are here on earth not to work as artisans for making big buildings with wood and stone but only as messengers for the teachings of Sri Chaintanya Deva. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- A sycophant is neither a guru nor a preacher. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- To transform the adverse desires of Jīvas is the supreme duty of the most merciful. To rescue one person from the stronghold of Mahāmāyā is an act of superb benevolence, far superior to opening innumerable hospitals. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- Unless we are devoted to God, secularism shall not leave us. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 16, 1933 to 1936)
- Look within. Amend yourself, rather than pry into the fragilities of others. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 17, The Final Days)
- In this world of Maya, averse to the Lord, full of trials and tribulations, only patience, humility and respect for the others are our friends for Hari-bhajana. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 17, The Final Days)
- The Lord, Gaurasundra, puts his devotees in various difficulties and associations to test their patience and strength of mind. Success depends on their good fortune. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 17, The Final Days)
- When faults in others misguide and delude you – have patience, introspect, and find faults in yourself. Know that others cannot harm you unless you harm yourself. (A Ray of Vishnu, Ch. 17, The Final Days)
The science is settled.
You don’t want to be a science-denier, do you?
In the paper, published online by University of Southampton and due to be published in the journal Psychological Science, researchers note that Buddhism’s teachings that a meditation practice helps overcome the ego conflicts with U.S. psychologist William James’s argument that practicing any skill breeds a sense of self-enhancement (the psychological term for inflated self-regard.) There was already a fair bit of evidence supporting William James’s theory, broadly speaking, but a team of researchers from University Mannheim in Germany decided to test it specifically in the context of yoga and meditation.
Mādhavānanda: Śrīla Prabhupāda, once you said that to stop this transmigration, one has to become completely disgusted with this material world.
Prabhupāda: Yes, unless…, how he can take to Kṛṣṇa consciousness? If he takes as a fashion, that is another thing. Just like the man who cannot tolerate commits suicide. Therefore you told me. Yes. One who is completely disgusted with this material life, he becomes fixed up in Kṛṣṇa consciousness.
Satsvarūpa: What about Lord Caitanya who prayed that “I don’t mind coming back again and again”?
In Vedic civilization marriage is one of the important function of life. As death is important function, birth is important function, similarly, marriage is also important function. Janma-mrityu-vivaha. So in this age everywhere, not only…. The marriage is now farce. This is the symptom of Kali-yuga. There will be no more marriage. Svikara eva codvahe. Even there is marriage, there will be simply an agreement. That is happening, and it was written five thousand years ago. Svikara eva. Svikara means by agreement, signing agreement. No marriage function. Otherwise marriage is a…. According to Vedic system, if one has got some money, he will spend the money in three functions. When the child is born, very gorgeously he will spend money, give in charity. Always in the Bhag… Nanda Maharaja is giving in charity cows and money, and Yudhishthira Maharaja is giving. Krishna, as family man, He was giving in charity. So when the child is born, the horoscope is made, and to make the child happy, blessings of saintly persons, brahmanas, they are given. Ordinary men also sumptuously fed. So bhūribhiḥ.(?) Everyone gives some blessings so that the child is…. Then marriage. During marriage time…. You have seen Krishna’s mother’s marriage? That was the system. The father gives to his heart content, as much as possible, to the daughter. The Krishna’s mother was royal prince, so her father gave so many elephants, so many horses, so many chariots. That was the system. [break] This sraddha ceremony. That is also, feeding the learned brahmanas, saintly person, poor man, relative. Lavishly they spend money during three occasions: birth, death, and marriage. During birth the father spends; the marriage, father spends; and death, the son spends. This is the system.
April 23, 1976, Melbourne
Born in Manhattan in 1902 to a pharmacist and a housewife, Berg played baseball at Barringer High School in Newark, NJ. He graduated from Princeton with a degree in classical and romance languages and became notorious for practicing Sanskrit from behind home plate.
Michael Kaplan, “This baseball player was secretly trained as a government assassin”, 16 Jun. 2018, New York Post, 18 Jun. 2018 <https://nypost.com/…>.
One of the most famous experiments in the history of psychology turns out to have been faked. There is so much cheating in the field. Why do we put our trust in these “experts” and entrust our children to them?
It was late in the evening of August 16th, 1971, and twenty-two-year-old Douglas Korpi, a slim, short-statured Berkeley graduate with a mop of pale, shaggy hair, was locked in a dark closet in the basement of the Stanford psychology department, naked beneath a thin white smock bearing the number 8612, screaming his head off.
“Copyrighted content. Do not copy paste anywhere without the author’s permission. Contact Akincana.net“
The principle of always remembering Krishna and never forgetting Him is the essence of all other instructions given in the shastras.
Shastras describe many rules and regulations governing all the different areas of human life. The idea of all these rules is to gradually bring everyone to the point of pure and constant rememberance of Krishna, which is the original and natural position of every living entity. Until we come to the stage of such pure Krishna consciousness, we have not actually fully realized the potential of our human life.
It looks like psychotherapy doesn’t help people all that much.
When it comes to America, we must notice, as I have often said, that far too much American therapy is of the touchy feely variety. Patients are induced to get in touch with their feelings and to feel their feelings. Beyond the fact that this approach doubles down on the social disconnection these patients feel, there is very little chance that the average middle-aged male, belonging to a high risk population, is going to consult with a therapist who is going to mother him or is going to tell him to get in touch with his feminine side.
Stuart Schneiderman, “”, 10 Jun. 2018, Had Enough Already, 11 Jun. 2018 <https://stuartschneiderman.blogspot.com/. . .>.
As a follow-up to the posting on MS-13 and ISKCON, I received a number of interesting reactions. But before I share some of those, I would like to make a few summary points:
- ISKCON and the MS-13 Gang’s point of commonality is that women are kept out of decision-making on the grounds they are not suited for it.
- ISKCON’s rationale is mandated by the scriptures, which say women should not be trusted.
- MS-13’s rationale is based on consistently bad experiences in trusting them.
- The big point is that MS-13’s experience “bears witness” to a Vedic truth, which is the position women should hold in society.
Some have found the comparison between the two organization so odious as to be beyond the pale. One devotee wrote,
“I did read your article and of course you are entitled to your opinion. No one can argue with an opinion.”
Modern civilization is about ahara(eating), nidra(sleeping) , bhaya(defense), maithuna(Sex) or sense gratification. In modern society nobody knows his original position and how to act properly. Because people are generally acting differently, they do not know what is proper- the modern population is so much ignorant about their life – it is a very awkward position. For sense gratification people are wasting so much energy. They are not aware of what is going to happen in the next life. There is a next life, but foolish people are ignorant. This life is preparation for the next life. That they do not know.
Unfortunately, modern civilization does not know what the Supreme Personality of Godhead is, what to speak of satisfying Him. They are simply busy with material activities. Therefore all of them are performing only bad karma and therefore suffering. They are blind men leading other blind men. And both are then suffering by bad karma. A person who does not know what is God, or one who does not try to understand what is God – he is an animal. Because animal does not know what is God.
Unfortunately, at the present moment people publicly say there is no God; others say that if there is a God, He is dead; and so on. They have built such a so-called advanced civilization, with so many skyscraper buildings, but they are forgetting that all of their advancement is dependent on God, on Kṛṣṇa. This is a very precarious condition for the human society. If you defy the laws of your state, you will be put into difficulty. Similarly, if you continue to defy the authority of the Supreme Lord, you will suffer. A godless civilization cannot be happy. That is a fact.